TRILOBITA.DE
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

TRILOBITA.DE » TRILOBITA.DE-Forum » Identifikation / Identification » Cranidium of ordovician odontopleurid » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Go to the bottom of this page Cranidium of ordovician odontopleurid
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jani Jani is a male
Inner Circle

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 03.06.2009
Herkunft: Turku, Finland

Cranidium of ordovician odontopleurid Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here is a interesting cranidium of some sort Odontopleurid. Could this be for example Apianurus???

Cranidium is a very fragile and its widht is ca. 10 mm.

Cranidium is from:
Pooleville member, Bromide fm.
Ordovician, Blackriverian.
Criner Hills, Carter co., Oklahoma, USA.

Jani has attached this image (reduced version):
apianurus.jpg

26.09.2011 11:39 Jani is offline Send an Email to Jani Homepage of Jani Search for Posts by Jani Add Jani to your Buddy List
Jens Jens is a male

Registration Date: 18.03.2007
Herkunft: HGW, momentan Jura, Schweiz

RE: Cranidium of ordovician odontopleurid Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Jani,

sorry, no idea. For the moment I have the problem, that I can't see the feautures of a trilobite Cranidium.
I know how Apianurus should look like, I found to specimen (Cranidium only) in erratic boulders along the Baltic coast, but on this specimen I can't see the glabella or the characteristic spines from the occipital ring.

The strong tuberculation might be a hint that your fossil might belong to a strong ornamentated trilobite, like some Lichids, but for the moment I can't help.

all the best,
Jens
26.09.2011 17:07 Jens is offline Send an Email to Jens Homepage of Jens Search for Posts by Jens Add Jens to your Buddy List
Jani Jani is a male
Inner Circle

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 03.06.2009
Herkunft: Turku, Finland

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jani
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mystery is solved. It is a partial cranidium of Apianurus barbatus.

Species is published in 1956 by Whittington; Silicified Middle Ordovician trilobites: The Odontopleuridae. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology.

Jani has attached this image (reduced version):
Apianurus barbatus.jpg

01.10.2011 17:51 Jani is offline Send an Email to Jani Homepage of Jani Search for Posts by Jani Add Jani to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
TRILOBITA.DE » TRILOBITA.DE-Forum » Identifikation / Identification » Cranidium of ordovician odontopleurid

Privacy policy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH