TRILOBITA.DE
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

TRILOBITA.DE » Sammler stellen vor / Collector's corner » Eigene Präparate / Your preparations » Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Go to the bottom of this page Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Jens Jens is a male

Registration Date: 18.03.2007
Herkunft: HGW, momentan Jura, Schweiz

Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi,

after looking at the fine Reedops pembertoni, I looked after own material I stored on my external hard drive. There I found some pictures of Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus ALBERTI, 1983, a specimen I prepared years ago and may be known from trilobiten.de.

I took the old pictures and refigure them here in a higher resolution.

The interesting thing is, that my specimen shows also fine prosopon structures at the rostral plate, but when comparing Fred's specimen, clear differences are visible.

Atchana Reedops

The ornamentation of the rostral plate is somewhat different (I think finer) than in Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus. A interesting point and a reason to look closer to other Reedops-species for a comparison, may be there are differences at the species level.
Also the morphologic interpretation might be a point of interest. Probably the structures are useful for digging?

The specimen is not self collected, but comes probably from a layer close to the Dicranurus couche from Atchana, Pragian, Morocco.

greetings,

Jens

Jens has attached these images (downsized versions):
Reedops.jpg Reedops-Seite.jpg Reedops-vorn.jpg Reedops-Pygidium.jpg

23.01.2012 14:50 Jens is offline Send an Email to Jens Homepage of Jens Search for Posts by Jens Add Jens to your Buddy List
Fred
Inner Circle

images/avatars/avatar-141.jpg

Registration Date: 24.10.2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It will be interesting to compare them in hand, side-by-side. The ornamentation is somewhat different but it's subtle. Also, the glabella seems to be protuding further in your specimen.
23.01.2012 22:25 Fred is offline Send an Email to Fred Homepage of Fred Search for Posts by Fred Add Fred to your Buddy List
Jens Jens is a male

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jens
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi Fred,

yes a comparison with the original material is always helpful, much better than pictures. But unfortunately the specimen is in Greifswald and that is far, far away.
I have another specimen of that species, may be I should prepare it, but there are many other trilobites on the to do list;-)

A characteristic feature of the Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus is the protruding front of the glabella, it's unique and you will not find another Reedops with such a long head in Morocco;-)

And the R. c. hamlagdadianus is not small, I'm not sure, but I think the adult size is larger than of the other species.

A difference of the prosopon structure seems, that the pembertoni has developed somewhat stronger visible terrace lines and smaller dots (tubercle). However fine, that we can compare the specimens.

Has someone other Reedops species at hand. Maybe one from Oklahoma? Or the Reedops maurulus??

greetings,
Jens
24.01.2012 10:58 Jens is offline Send an Email to Jens Homepage of Jens Search for Posts by Jens Add Jens to your Buddy List
Fred
Inner Circle

images/avatars/avatar-141.jpg

Registration Date: 24.10.2008

I'll try to make a close up pic of the prosopon one of these days.
24.01.2012 11:11 Fred is offline Send an Email to Fred Homepage of Fred Search for Posts by Fred Add Fred to your Buddy List
Jens Jens is a male

Thread Starter Thread Started by Jens

thanks Fred.

and try to do it with a mm-scale, for size comparison;-)

greetings,
Jens
24.01.2012 11:22 Jens is offline Send an Email to Jens Homepage of Jens Search for Posts by Jens Add Jens to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
TRILOBITA.DE » Sammler stellen vor / Collector's corner » Eigene Präparate / Your preparations » Reedops cephalotes hamlagdadianus

Privacy policy

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH