Andries

The Inner Circle

• »Andries« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 30. Januar 2007

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. Mai 2012, 02:35

Beschriftungspapier

Hallo Allerseits,

seit ein paar Wochen bin ich dabei meine Sammlung aufzuarbeiten. Es wird sicherlich noch Jahre dauern, bis ich komplett fertig bin, aber ich arbeite daran.

Ich habe lange Überlegt, wie ich am besten meine Stücke beschriften soll bzw. ob ich mir eine Computerdatei anlege.
Nach langer Überlegung bin ich zum Schluß gekommen, dass man am besten alles Stücke einzelt beschriftet.
Durch meine Arbeit ihm Institut hatte ich mehrmals schon das Vergnügen, dass jegliche Informationen nicht mehr vorhanden waren, ausser irgendwelche Nummern, die aber nicht zugeortnet werden konnten.
Daher werde ich wohl oder übel, jegliche Informationen nach Möglichkeit direkt bei das jeweilige Fossil anbringen/ablegen.

Da es eine immense Arbeit ist, alle Fossilien per Hand zu beschriften, wollte ich mit einem Laserdrucker Ettiketen erstellen.
Irgendwer hat mal erzählt, dass gebleichtes Papier sich mit der Zeit zersetzt und somit die Informationen verloren geht.

Hat jemand eine Idee, welche Art von Papier für die Beschriftung geeignet ist?
Kann man solches Papier in DIN A4 bekommen?
Hat jemand Erfahrung mit der Haltbarkeit von Toner? Wasserresistenz ist es, aber hält es auch noch nach 100 Jahren?

Fred

The Inner Circle

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Oktober 2008

Beruf: Bioscience engineer

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. Mai 2012, 10:54

I think the preservation of printer ink over longer periods of time is indeed a potential issue to take into account when labelling a collection. I'm also afraid that it's a difficult one to answer, given no one has been able to test 100year preservation of any given printer ink.

Also, degradation depends on exposure to sunlight, moisture and other variables.

Therefore, I still label my fossils by hand, preferrably direcly on the specimen (Application of a layer of varnish, dry, then the label in ink, dry, then another layer of varnish - for varnish I use transparent nail polish). Yes, too time consuming, I agree. :199:

Crozo

The Inner Circle

Registrierungsdatum: 23. Februar 2012

Beruf: ingénierie électrique

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. Mai 2012, 15:00

Hello,
I think that it is possible alier both manners.
Make these own computing index cards with savings on discs hard external, see as putting a saving to one third party nobody, as make a paper exit(release) and put it in files plasticized shielded from the light, that works well and normally we can have a good long-term preservation.
As for the étiquettage of the fossil, I make as "Fred", except that I add a small touch of white paint(painting) to the back of the gangue or is the trilobite, then I write a number in the Indian ink, covered with a coat(layer) of varnish, and
That does not move any more. The white coat of paint allows simply if the number changes to remove of alone one blow of the blade of cutter.
Thank you
bye

Fred

The Inner Circle

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Oktober 2008

Beruf: Bioscience engineer

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 11. Mai 2012, 15:27

In addition, I have the numbers linked with records that I keep in a digital database (trilobase). I have 2 backup disks for this database, one of which should be at a separate location (but it is not).
imho, a classic analogue database on paper sheets is obsolete.

Andries

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 12. Mai 2012, 00:18

It is a difficult decision how to keep the information with the specimen.
I also have thought about writing all the necessary details on the specimens but unfortunately I'm always running out of space.

Even now the names of some specimens do change, so I think an induvidual labelling of every specimen is better.
I like the idea of laminating the labels, at least for the bigger specimens it would be usefull.

Jens

Registrierungsdatum: 18. März 2007

Beruf: Geologe

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 12. Mai 2012, 01:06

Hi Andries,

its funny, at the moment I work a lot with labels at work. We use a special waterproof paper. It is very robust, water resistent and should survive long time. Its possible to print on it. For the writings we use a normal pencil, because its proven, that the graphit will not alter in the future.

I know a lot of 100 years old ettiquetes, and the handwritings were good readable. The old ink was obviosly a good one. But many of the labels looking not that well at the first glimpse, but after brushing the dust, they looking well. They used a thick carton to write the informations. Together with a number on the stone and on the label the information chain was still intact over long time.

Today we can save the informations digital, but we have to keep in mind, that formats and the technic will change in the future and this might be a problem to keep the data. Online storage might be a idea and kann be used as a third backup idea;-)

Personal I use for the moment no database to save the informations, the majority of the data is saved in my organic database, but I should do the labeling in the future. The nail polish to fix the labeling on the stone is used by a friend of mine (Tapir). It works well and should resist long time.

regards,
Jens
Was wäre die Welt ohne Trilobiten.
:267: :240: :272:

Andries

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 14. Mai 2012, 11:52

Hi Jens,

the waterproof paper sounds good, can you get me 2 sheets?
I would like to see, if I can use it with my laser printer or copy machine.

I have thought also about the pencil, but it would take me to much time to right all the labels by hand.
Chinees ink (espescially the old one) is also good. At the institution we have some labels which are more then 100 years old and the ink is just perfect.
But I haven´t hearded that you can buy chinees ink for a normal printer.

Jens

Registrierungsdatum: 18. März 2007

Beruf: Geologe

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 14. Mai 2012, 23:12

Hi Andries,

difficult, because I get normally only sheets of paper with printed etiquettes on it. So we can be sure, it works with a laser printer;-) Its thick paper,similar as carton, very stabile.
Unfortunately i know not the source or name for that paper sort.

In the last time I wrote nearly 2000 labels for working issues. Is not fun, but possible;-)

greetings,
Jens
Was wäre die Welt ohne Trilobiten.
:267: :240: :272:

Andries

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 14. Mai 2012, 23:27

2000 label that´s tuff :324:
I´m fed up with it already after 50 labels, especially if you have tons of information to write on it. :088:

Too bad that you don´t know the source.
I don´t think I would mind if some etiquettes would be printed on the sheet already though I want to try to make some with my laser-printer.

Thanks anyway :323: