The Inner Circle

• »Lugo« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 18. Februar 2013

Beruf: Bio-engineer, retired

• Nachricht senden

Montag, 22. Dezember 2014, 15:18

What kind of Paralejurus???

Hi All,

two years ago i started with the preparation of a Paralejurus sp.
My Moroccan contact had labeled this bug as Paralejurus rehamnanus from the Upper Emsian of Jebel Issoumour.
After preparing the pygidium and part of the thorax, it became clear that a few fragments of shell were missing. The preparation was also not easy, because of the very sticky matrix. For these two reasons i decided at that time to put this piece aside.
But last week i resumed the preparation and now the work was finished.
This is definitely not a perfect bug,but i have also my doubts about the label ( P. rehamnanus ).
Although the overall shape fits fairly well with that species, one can see that the genal spines are not present. Or can the absence of the genal spines be a variation within this species?

Best regards

Luc
»Lugo« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • DSC03748.JPG
  • DSC03749.JPG
  • DSC04626.JPG
  • DSC04627.JPG
  • DSC04628.JPG
:026:

Fred

The Inner Circle

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Oktober 2008

Beruf: Bioscience engineer

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014, 10:07

If you compare with the one I presented earlier, it's quite different: Also a P rehamnanus, from J. Ofaten

As you say, the genal spine is almost lacking in your specime, while it is very prominent in mine. I'm not sure this is because of form variation. Any idea of which couche your bug comes from? Seems to be a reddish brown lithology.

Lugo

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2014, 13:31

I do not know the exact couche, where this trilo was found; Upper Emsian is all i know.
But the colour of the matrix, that you can see on the first picture is the real color.
A closer picture of the right hand side librigena gives also a better idea about the "absence" of a genal spine.
On the cephalon the terrace lines are also minimal, compared with the other specimens of P. rehamnanus, that i have in my collection.

Best regards

Luc
»Lugo« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • trilo 33 a 002.JPG

Registrierungsdatum: 8. Januar 2016

Beruf: HVAC

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Januar 2016, 13:13

I'm not the expert but could it be a Paralejurus hamlagdadicus?

Jens

Registrierungsdatum: 18. März 2007

Beruf: Geologe

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Januar 2016, 14:59

Hi Tim (ahem, I mean Lugo),

for me your Paralejurus looks like a Pragian specimen, it^s pretty sure not from the Upper Emsian, the lithology would be different. Your Paralejurus was probably found in Atchana, the limestone looks similar to lithologies found in the niveau where the dig for Dicranurus, I would guess it's a bit above the Dicranurus-couche.
Unfortunately you do not show details of the shell sculpture nor a view of the pygidium in an oriented way. I can't see t's outline and proportions right.

However, you bug seems to be close to Paralejurus spatuliformis.

Paralejurus hamlagdadicus is very unlikely, it's a very rare species with a slight tuberculation as ornamentation. As the name says, it's known from the Hamar Lagdad and I donot know a report from the Maider so far.

all the best,
Jens
Was wäre die Welt ohne Trilobiten.
:267: :240: :272:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jens« (16. Januar 2016, 19:21)

Registrierungsdatum: 8. Januar 2016

Beruf: HVAC

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Januar 2016, 15:34

Hi Jens,

I havened got a Paralejurus jet. Its ordered.

But i was just comparing pictures and this one was the closesd to Lugo's Paralejurus.
Like i say. I'm not an expert and have mutch to learn. :205:
:157:

Jens

Registrierungsdatum: 18. März 2007

Beruf: Geologe

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Januar 2016, 19:20

Hi Tim and Lugo,

my bad, can't distinguish between Belgians, they look all so similar ;-)
Just kidding, I looked more to the bug then after who posted it. And Tim showed several specimens in the last time and so I thought....

Anyway, Paralejurus is an interesting genus but it needs good shell preservation to tell them apart.

all the best,
Jens
Was wäre die Welt ohne Trilobiten.
:267: :240: :272:

Lugo

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Samstag, 16. Januar 2016, 21:14

Hi Jens,

i received this Paralejurus in 2012 and finished the preparation only in 2014. Back in 2012 my supplier added a label with the information P. rehamnanus, Upper Emsian and Issoumour. Probably it is now too late to verify these data with him, but as you mentioned, this combination of information cannot be correct.

But interestingly, i ordered and received in the mean time another box with 9 trilobites earlier this month and in this box are two trilobites of which one is labeled as Paralejurus rehamnanus, Emsian, Issoumour and another Paralejurus hamlagdadicus, Pragian, Foum Zguid.
So i am curious to see how these two specimen will look like.
Any way i will start the preparation of these two bugs, as soon as i have finished the one i started already ( a Kayserops marocanensis from the Emsian of Bou Lachrhal ).

Best regards

Luc