Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: TRILOBITA.DE - Die Diskussions-Plattform für Trilobiten-Freunde. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Lugo

The Inner Circle

• »Lugo« ist der Autor dieses Themas

Registrierungsdatum: 18. Februar 2013

Beruf: Bio-engineer, retired

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 30. Oktober 2014, 16:37

Gerastos sp.

Hi All,

i prepared the Gerastos sp., which is shown in the attached pictures.
For the time being i do not have information about exact age and findlocation in Morocco.
The first pictures gives an idea about the type of matrix, that contains this bug; the matrix is quite hard.
After preparation a number of strange lines became visible, that cross the glabella and also a few spots on the cephalon show some kind of discoloration.
This enrolled specimen would measure 2.6 cm, if completely stretched.
Based on the overall morphology i tend to think that this trilobite is a Gerastos lisanrasus Gibb 2005, but maybe i am wrong.
So any input is appreciated.

Best regards

Luc
»Lugo« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • DSC04562.JPG
  • trilo 67 001.JPG
  • trilo 67 002.JPG
  • trilo 67 004.JPG
  • trilo 67 005.JPG
:026:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Lugo« (31. Oktober 2014, 08:51)

Fred

The Inner Circle

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Oktober 2008

Beruf: Bioscience engineer

• Nachricht senden

Donnerstag, 30. Oktober 2014, 20:09

I think this one too, is from the Ceratarges couche from Jebel Zireg. To me, both the orange mottled matrix and the cracks in the glabella are quite typical.

Good prep job!

Jens

Registrierungsdatum: 18. März 2007

Beruf: Geologe

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014, 10:10

Hi Lugo,

yes, again a nice work. How long did you work to free this little critter?

I agree with Fred, that the most likely origin is the Middle Eifelian Ceratarges Couche of Zireg. Ceratarges is often associated with frequent occurences of Gerastos and as Fred mentioned the lithology looks very similar.

If you have, look for material with Ceratarges and compare the matrix.

I will look later in the Gerastos paper of Gibb and Chatterton, you probably did this too? Hopefully your determination will be right;-)

all the best,
Jens
Was wäre die Welt ohne Trilobiten.
:267: :240: :272:

Lugo

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014, 10:51

Hi Fred and Jens,

thank you for your input.
I spent about 12 hrs to prepare this little bug. In fact the preparation was not too difficult; only the small size required carefull work.

Both of you confirmed my first impression about the origin of this matrix: Eifelian ( Ceratarges couche ) of Zireg. And based on this assumption in combination with the pictures on Heiko's website i tought that this bug could indeed be a Gerastos lisanrasus.
Unfortunately i don't have the paper of Gibb and Chatterton to confirm my assumption.

Best regards

Luc
:026:

Fred

The Inner Circle

Registrierungsdatum: 24. Oktober 2008

Beruf: Bioscience engineer

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014, 12:45

I don't have that publication with me now, but I think lisanrasus is correct. The name refers to the tongue-like appearance of the glabella. It is a common Gerastos in that particular couche.

Jens

Registrierungsdatum: 18. März 2007

Beruf: Geologe

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014, 13:45

Hi Lugo,

after a quick comparison it looks indeed after Gerastos lisanrasus Gibb & Chatterton, 2010, a species which was described from the Ceratarges Couche of Jebel Zireg.

all the best,
Jens
Was wäre die Welt ohne Trilobiten.
:267: :240: :272:

Lugo

The Inner Circle

• Nachricht senden

Freitag, 31. Oktober 2014, 15:54

Hi Jens, Fred,